"Perhaps, Gordon, my friend, you could tell the truth. It works for me..."
Hovis ("James" in France) is Mrs. Cramdilly's butler and currently watches after the cats and collects his measly paychecks (which Mr. Blik signs).
Hovis is the cats' butler and caregiver. He looks after the cats, but sometimes, he wishes that he had a different career. He almost never looks on the bright side even if there is a bright side. Sarcasm and snarky remarks are often his go-to means of defense, primarily when dealing with the self-serving Mr. Blik.
He's not exactly thrilled about his new situation, but he hails from a long line of butlers who have served in the house and he honestly believes he's got nowhere else to go. So Hovis puts up with the fact that the former pets have become his masters. Mr. Blik barks out orders constantly, Gordon treats him as an equal and Waffle hasn't quite figured out he's not a pet anymore (he still asks Hovis to be let out and scratched behind his ears). His birthday is April 14, 1982, as seen in "Love Jackal."
Hovis has had a legitimate aspiration for the musical arts, and was once a lead guitarist of the underground rock band Love Jackal. He doesn't think very fondly of that memory, and would rather it be left behind. He has since attempted to move on to more upscale levels of music, such as the tuba (which he's not very good at.) Of course, he can't get much time for practice on this, as he's often kept occupied with his chores around the mansion.
Hovis is a rather tall man. He has peach colored skin and his main outfit consist of a black jacket with a black tie, and long khaki pants. He is balding but has some black hair on the back of his head.
Background Information Edit
- The first time Hovis smiled was in the episode "Unicorn Club"
- Waffle has attempted to cut apart Hovis with the use of scissors twice.
- Hovis was formerly in a band named "Love Jackal", where his band members nicknamed him "Lord Thunderpants" (much to his dismay).
- Hovis occasionally goes on vacation, leaving the cats to fend for themselves.
- He of course, leaves behind a detailed list of emergency phone numbers.
Production Information Edit
- Doug TenNapel's design for Hovis has his hair combed over.